Monday, July 18, 2011

Week 2 Comment 1

Blog Post on Reading (Week2)

graphicleftovers.com
From my reading of the Art of Possibility, the last two chapters really stuck with me and caused me to think as well. As an educator I like to think of myself as a contributor each time I step into my classroom with my group of students. In the reading the great example of the mother giving her daughters money to help them out in their situation is the way I try to pass my knowledge to my students when they come to a point on a project and they may struggle I know that I can come in and provide information to help them. The chapter on given the students an A gave me a project to start this semester for my class by letting them all see an A next to their names from day one and even attempt for them to write the past tense letter of why the deserved the A. I have some reservations on this theory because from day one students feel they should be given an A in my class just because it is an elective and they should not have to work hard to earn it. So giving it to some of them will make them lazy to a point so this will be intresting to those students who feel the are entitled to an A before they learn a thing.

Posted by Michael Chapple

My response:

I think there is a fine line between the system we have which often encourages kids to succeed for the wrong reason and the system which is described in the book. I think you are absolutely right. If I adopted this idea dull force, I think i would encounter the same issues that you are apprehensive about. Although some would be inspired and participate for the simple purity of expanding knowledge others would take advantage and attempt to drift by with their 'A" in their pocket.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger