Saturday, December 18, 2010

PE_7 CS5

For my final video for this class I decided to make an entire project from start to finish with Adobe Premiere. My plan for the idea involved using the chroma key feature or 'green screen' effect. Now, I've used green screen via iMovie in the past. The effect is decent, but iMovie does not allow you to edit and customize your key. The green screen I have access to is just a curtain, so there is always a lot of color variation. You can see shadow like ripples in the background of the video I linked above. Premiere gives you much more control. First of all, Premiere gives you the ability to crop a key, which will reduce problem spotst, by creating what is called a garbage matte. I created a four point garbage matte for my project.



Notice how the color isn't even. By cutting out unused portions I reduce potential problems with the key. Next, premiere allows you to look at your key as a black and white by switching to alpha color.



For a good key the transparency should be solid black and the subject should be white. In my pic above there is a lot of gray areas that will hurt the overall effect. This can be corrected by tweaking the settings of the key.



By adjusting the shadow and pedestal settings, I was able to clean up my key.



Now, I must admit that I leaned heavily on lynda.com for this project. Even with that great resource, the process took much trial and error.

In the end I think the effect worked out pretty good. Click here to see my final video for this class.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger